The BV Museum invites applications from creative, outgoing and responsible individuals for two Museum Assistant positions (seasonal full-time).
SALARY : $17/hour + 4% vacation pay (salary has been updated April 24th).
HOURS: 35 hours/week, for up to 16 weeks (approx. May 9th – August 26th 2023, start date negotiable). Hours of work are generally 9am-5pm Tuesday-Saturday. Occasional evening or holiday work as required by the museum’s activities.
LOCATION: Work will take place onsite at the Bulkley Valley Museum; offsite work is not available due to the nature of the tasks outlined for the position.
Duties for this position include:
- Plan and develop activities, schedule, etc. for museum summer camp for kids
- Delivery of summer camp, including supervision of camp participants
- Visitor services including exhibit interpretation and/or assisting with delivery of special events
- Assist with collections management-related tasks including digitization through scanning or photography, optical character recognition (OCR) verification, updating collections management database records, assisting with research and development for upcoming events or exhibits
- Research and writing for museum projects including weekly summer newspaper column, Community Heritage Register project, annual Cemetery Walk, and upcoming exhibitions
- Assist with day-to-day operations including opening/closing the museum (keyholder), completing gift shop sales
Youth studying post-secondary history, anthropology, archaeology, museum studies, library or archival studies, or with demonstrated relevant experience in these fields will be a priority for hiring. Students from other fields and high school students demonstrating relevant skill sets and/or experience are also welcome to apply.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be able to work independently, including self-directed research
- Must have experience using Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Must be comfortable interacting with the public, including working with children/youth in an educational setting. Previous experience in a museum or heritage/culture organization, or with programming/supervision of youth (e.g. coaching, refereeing, babysitting) considered strong assets.
- Familiarity with museum or archival database software, digital scanning hardware/software, sound or video editing softwares, or digital photography considered assets.
- Prior customer service or visitor services experience considered a strong asset
- Must be fluent (written and oral) in English. Written and/or oral communication in French or another language considered an asset.
The Bulkley Valley Museum is an equal opportunity employer, and all candidates meeting the eligibility criteria of the funding program (see below) will be considered for the position. IBPOC and/or 2SLGBTQ+ candidates are encouraged to apply.
***Funder Eligibility Criteria***
All Applicants MUST be aged 15-30 and Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or have refugee protection. Evidence of student status (registered student in previous semester, returning to studies in the fall) will be required for any positions hired through Young Canada Works funding.
Canada Summer Jobs: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/funding/canada-summer-jobs.html
Young Canada Works: https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/funding/young-canada-works/students-graduates/heritage-organizations-students.html
POSTING EXTENDED: open until filled
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Kira Westby, Curator
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By mail: PO Box 2615, Smithers BC, V0J 2N0
Or in person: BV Museum, 1425 Main Street, Smithers BC
Applicants must indicate in their covering letter that they meet the funder eligibility criteria.
Interviews (in person or Zoom) will take place once funding for the position(s) have been confirmed. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.