The Old Church was first constructed in 1913 as the St. James’ Anglican Church. For over sixty years the Church was a spiritual and community centre for the growing village of Smithers.
After the parish of St. James moved to its new home on Princess St. in 1975, the original church was left unused and suffered disrepair and neglect. In 2005, thanks to the dedication and vision of a dynamic group of volunteers, the building was resurrected as a community hall. Administered and maintained by the Bulkley Valley Museum, today the Old Church is a popular venue for dozens of weddings, lectures, parties, meetings, concerts, and performances each year.
The Old Church Garden was developed in 2006 as a public green space. The gardens rely on the work of enthusiastic volunteers for their upkeep. If you are interested in helping out, please contact the Museum at 250.847.5322 or email@example.com
Renting the Old Church
The current rental fee is $30 per hour (minimum 2 hours) + $25 cleaning fee. For full fee information, including day and evening rates, as well as deposit information and pricing for additional amenities please click here to view a copy of the Old Church Rental Policy.
For availability please contact the Bulkley Valley Museum 250.847.5322 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Basic amenities: The Old Church can accommodate up to 80 people and comes with a fully equipped Northern Health approved kitchen. Amenities available with every rental include use of the kitchen, tables and chairs, upright piano, two washrooms (one accessible), and a screen and projector system. Free wireless internet is generously donated by Four Dimensions Computer Centre Ltd.
Additional amenities available for rent: wine glasses, sound system including microphone.